E. H. Bentall & Co. Limited (1805 - 1984)
During the early 1800s the Bentall family moved from Ironbridge in Shropshire to Heybridge where it established a large factory specialising in agricultural machinery. The company of Bentall was established in 1805 by William Bentall, as Agricultural engineers. In the middle of the 18th century, William Bentall designed the famous ‘Goldhanger’ plough. Its design was so ‘state of the art’ it remained in production until 1947. Over the years the Company passed from father to son – always innovative – always successful. Patents and designs followed rapid succession and by the late 19th century it had even diversified into the design and manufacture of yachts and motor cars.
The Company grew and developed, exporting its products throughout the world. In 1836 Edward Hammond Bentall took over the family business and expanded it further, selling the company's products throughout Britain and beyond. Edmund Bentall took over the business in 1889 and the range of items manufactured by the company continued to grow. In 1873 Edward Eammond Bentall Built a large Italianate house called The Towers at the corner of Goldhanger Road and Colchester Road in Heybridge.