Maldon & High Street
The place-name Maldon is first attested in 913 in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles, where it appears as Maeldun. Maldon's name comes from Mael meaning 'monument or cross' and dun meaning 'hill', so translates as 'monument on the hill'. Saxons settled in the area in the fifth century and the area to the south is still known as the Dengie peninsula after the Dæningasthe tribe of Saxons. It became a significant Saxon port with a hythe or quayside and artisan quarters.
Evidence of imported pottery from this period has been found in archaeological digs. From 958 there was a royal mint issuing coins for the late Anglo-Saxon and early Norman kings. A Viking raid was beaten off in 924, but in another raid in 991 the defenders were defeated in the Battle of Maldon and the Vikings received tribute but apparently did not attempt to sack the town. It became the subject of the celebrated Old English poem: The Battle of Maldon.
The battle is commemorated by a statue at the end of the Promenade of the slain Saxon warrior Byrhtnoth. According to the Domesday Book there were 180 townsmen in 1086.