Maldon by Gas Light (1897 - 1971)
Maldon’s gas street lighting originally consisted of only three lamps one outside what is now Boots the chemist, one outside of the Holy Trinity Church (All Saint’s Church) and one outside the police station in West Square. All ran on town gas from further down the High Street, where it was produced. Other lamps appeared over time, but it was a hit and miss affair with some roads having one or two and some having none at all. With the introduction of North Sea gas Maldon’s street light was converted to electricity between 1969 and 1971.
Some people may remember the bluey green fibreglass street lights placed in side streets and roads with main roads having a pre-cast concrete posts before the galvanised steel ones we have today. Early lighting fuels consisted of olive oil, beeswax, fish oil, whale oil, sesame oil, nut oil, and similar substances. These were the most commonly used fuels until the late 18th century. Chinese records dating back 1700 years note the use of natural gas in the home for light and heat via bamboo pipes to the dwellings. The first public street lighting with gas was demonstrated in Pall Mall, London on 28th January 1807 by Frederick Albert Winsor.