Maldon's Railways - Maldon East and Heybridge Station and Maldon West Station
Maldon was fortunately enough to have two railway stations, Maldon later to become Maldon East and even later to become Maldon East and Heybridge railway station. The Station was located on the north-East side of Station Road, Maldon and opened on 20th October 1848 and Maldon West railway station being located south side of Spital Road, Maldon and opened 1st October 1889. Maldon East and Heybridge was a terminus station located at the end of two branch lines from Witham and Woodham Ferrers via Maldon West. The Station originally had a goods shed and a 2-road engine shed. A turntable was situated adjacent to the station building and there were sidings that served the Blackwater Canal and the river wharf. The second bay platform was added in 1889. The station building at Maldon is an impressive example of Victorian railway architecture. The reason behind this is during the 1847 election the potential MP (David Waddington a vice-chair of the Eastern Counties Railway) was looking to woo his constituents. A lot of local people found employment on the construction of the railway and it was reported in an investigation into the election afterwards that some of these were not actually fit to do the work they were paid for. The station building was built in the Jacobean style, with a large booking hall, waiting rooms and ticket office on the ground floor. The upper floor contained the station master’s apartments which were reached by a winding staircase from the booking hall. Originally the single platform was partly covered by a glass roof but this was removed after an explosion of an engine boiler caused significant damage.