Page under construction
Mildmay Iron Works - Booth and Brookes Limited
formerly of Foundry Lane, Burnham-on-Crouch
In 1899 a James Booth and a R. T. Palmer formed a partnership by the name of Palmer & Booth and established an iron foundry at Mildmay Ironworks, Foundry Lane, Burnham-on-Crouch. In 1907 after a few successful years trading the discussion was made to incorporate the business into a limited liability company and Booth & Brookes Ltd was formed. The company rapidly became known as one of leading manufactures of cast iron frames for various pianos.
The company was a general iron foundry producing a wide range of casting from wood and coal stove parts, general machinery, motor parts, electroplating, enamelling, bronzing, general engineering, turntables for HMV gramophones and made to order castings.
During both World Wars the factory continued to manufacture a small number of piano frames but also made castings for hand grenades, aircraft parts and general armaments. Due to money problems the company's bankers placed Booth & Brookes Ltd into receivership in 1980 with the factory being demolished a year later to make way for a new housing estate.